Followers

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Advent and Felt!

Hi...Christmas is a-coming :D I have made a large fabric Advent hanging for The Craft Barn and for you, just to remind you hahaha!  You know that Christmas is not complete without one hahaha!!!  The remit was 'Advent and Felt'.
 

I chose to use traditional colours for this & mix in a few brights but you could do this any colourway that you like! All my squares are 6cm square and I cut 24 from felt and 24 from patterned fabric. I hemed 2 sides of the patterned fabric then folded them over the felt squares & pinned before sewing buttons on the keep the flaps in place.
 

The green cotton background is 36cm x 47cm. I placed the squares evenly and then machine stitched them on. Tucking under a small hem all round the green first, I then stitched this onto the red spotty background and added a bobbly border.

I used Tando Christmas numbers and covered them with felt. Its tricky to cut them out but worth the effort I think. Glue them in place with pva, making sure that the glue isn't too wet or your pockets won't work!!!
 

I made 2 tabs for top and added brass rings to hang it by. Some colourful buttons were sewn around the green fabric and on the tabs.
 
 

If you have a go at making one similar do pop back & let me know...I would love to see it :D

*********************

Then its not Christmas again hahahaha!  Here is my Calendar Page and as its for June its a lot different...


As its Advent Week I decided to stick with numbers for my background and ran the card through an embossing folder - Tim Holtz Texture Fades Bingo - after inking it up with Distress Inks in brushed corduroy & old paper. Then I lightly brushed a little brushed corduroy over the raised numbers. Using the star background in Dylusions Christmas Backgrounds set & archival ink I stamped the felt for the bird (you need a fairly strong colour for this to show). The bird is die cut from the felt twice and layered with a different colour wing. The sentiment is stamped from PaperArtsy Hotpick 1005. To finish I very lightly edged the card in Brilliance ink to match the bird.
I used from The Craft Barn:
 
Tim Holtz Texture Fades Embossing folder - Bingo
PaperArtsy Hot picks 1005
Distress Inks - Brushed Corduroy & Old Paper
Our special offer this week
Order any advent calendar from our site,
It will be added to your parcel.
 
Thank you for popping by, HUGS xxxxx

11 comments:

Julia S-W said...

I absolutely love this fabric piece Karen - it's stunning and right up my street!! So much work and creativity. Love the colours and all the wonderful details. Where oh where did you get that fab bobble edging from? It's just amazing!!
Juliaxx

Dawn said...

Tee hee, you've been busy sweetie. What a huge amount of work, well worth it though, your finished piece is beautiful. Lol almost starting to feel christmassy now!!
I love the little birdy calendar too, very subtle but oh so effective.
Huge huggles x x x x

BJ said...

Super job Karen, must have taken ages. BJ

Traceyr said...

WOW to that advent calendar Karen! Now all you need to do is fill it up and send it to me! hahahaha

Love the calendar too.

:)

Kaz said...

Just fabulous Karen, I know how hard your worked on the advent and it's really paid off.
Love the calendar too xxx

Carol Plume said...

wow what an amazing piece must have taken you ages - and well worth it too xx

Loving the calender pages too xx

BJ said...

Hey Karen, I have finally got round to scrapping my photos of the Craft Barn's Extravaganza last June and it is on my desk NOW duly linked of course. BJ

Angelnorth said...

Your advent calendar looks fab, must have taken ages! Love your birdy calendar page, too.

Sue said...

Still stitching I see. This really is nice and bright but Christmassy too with all the red and green. Love your bobbles.
Sue x

Kathy said...

Karen, your advent calendar is fantastic - it will be treasured for a long time I'm sure. I want one for me....

BJ said...

Thanks for your comment on my Gratitude Journal. Certainly got the jounaling bug (aswell as a cough - LOL) Really had to do something special in the little book Dawn sent me a while back. Still pondering the texture paste - LOL. BJ